VP / EVP - Business Unit Leader
The Business Unit Leader (BUL) is an executive level position that oversees a significant portion of the organization’s business and, as a result, has full P&L responsibility for their client portfolio. In addition, the BU contributes to the overall leadership and direction of the organization. The BUL usually has a team of 5-12 subordinate(s) consisting of members from Accounts, Projects, and Scientific Affairs. The BUL is expected to generate revenue from existing accounts as well as bring in new accounts. (The BUL title is dependent on individual experience, magnitude of business he/she oversees, and ability to generate incremental new business.)
- P&L Management – Ensures overall profitability of the business unit.
- Client Communication & Satisfaction – Anticipates client needs and proactively ensures that the team addresses those needs to ensure complete client satisfaction.
- Project Planning & Execution – Works with his/her supervisor, project and scientific team to coordinate resources to ensure appropriate account support and communication. Drives quality project implementation (defined as on target, on time, on budget).
- Business Expansion/Business Development - Gain access and sell programs to new disease areas within existing accounts as well as bring new accounts into the organization.
- Financial – Works with account, project and finance team to ensure the overall profitability of each account, and the business unit overall. Provides routing financial forecasts to Management and oversees the allocation of resources to ensure profitable, quality delivery. Facilitates the reporting of financial records to client on a regular basis.
- Content – Guides and oversee the scientific resources, account and PM teams, to ensure that the delivery is both scientifically sound and strategically relevant.
- Training and Development – Recruit, hire, train and develop appropriate staff (Account Directors / Account Managers / Project Managers / Coordinators) as needed to run the business unit
- Other – Completes all relevant other duties as assigned or requested for the general support of the organization as determined by the company President.
Primary Focus in the Following Areas:
- Advisory Boards
- Investigator Meetings
- KOL Development and Planning
- Multimedia Activities
- NP/PA Programs
- Proprietary Databases and Programming
- Review Articles
- Slide and Content Development
- Strategic and Tactical Planning
- Speaker Training
- Maintain an annual budget of contract revenue: $4MM - $8+MM
- Oversees 3-5+ accounts
Reports to the President or Managing Director.
- The incumbent must have a passion for serving his/her clients, advocate for the success of the clients’ brands, and ensure their complete satisfaction.
- The incumbent must have the ability to manage a P&L.
- The incumbent must be a team leader, motivator, and possess a demonstrated track record of recruiting and developing talent
- The incumbent must exhibit excellent judgment and communications skills while dealing with clients, fellow team members, and health care professionals.
- The incumbent must have the demonstrated ability to sell to existing clients, as well as the ability to bring new clients to the organization.
- Develop and maintain contacts and access to key decision makers from the various pharmaceutical clients.
- Interact with third parties (other agency vendors/professional organizations/societies) where appropriate.
- Deploy our resources in a manner to best balance the overall business objectives of the company.
- Bachelor’s Degree.
- 10+ years in Medical Education, with at least 3 years in senior level account leadership positions.
- Familiarity of a variety of therapeutic categories, as required.
- Ability to travel (up to 30%).
- Live within one hour of our office.
Competitive salary and benefits package.