General Purpose/Summary of Job:
To lead the strategic editorial development and co-ordinate implementation of client communication programs with a focus on communications strategy, key messages, content and overall quality of all educational materials, in conjunction with relevant colleagues within the agency business units and external contacts.
Primary Duties and Responsibilities:
• Develop and implement strategic communication plans in close collaboration with client/agency account teams.
• Act as the primary editorial contact for the account team on large programs.
• Design, develop, implement and manager publication plans.
• Research, write (project briefs and actual project), edit and proof copy to the highest standard (scientific and grammatical) for a full range of educational materials and target audiences.
• Manage/co-ordinate materials through internal/client/speaker approval, creative/design/production to print, according to agency procedures.
• Check proofs and printer’s proofs (text, layout, color, specification) and sign-off for print/production.
• Accurate/precise implementation of client/author corrections.
• Mentor Medical Writers working on client program and assist in training of Associate Medical Writers.
• Develop Editors/Editorial Assistants.
• Provide on-site support to meet the client’s needs, e.g., on-site writing/editing, video interviewing, faculty support, competitor intelligence gathering, and moderating meetings.
• Make presentations to clients/speakers/third party organizations.
• Provide medical expertise/consultancy in areas of main strength (internally and externally).
• Establish/develop and maintain opinion leader relationships.
• Work closely with Editorial Unit Manager/Executive Editorial Manager to plan resource to match program needs.
• Utilize and manage freelance and contract freelance assistance (commissioning and briefing freelancers).
• Proactively develop new business for existing and new clients. Assist New Business Department with new pitches/presentations.
• Quality Control checking of copy of other Medical Writers across the department.
• Educated to degree level or higher in a biomedical science, with several years’ writing experience in a communications agency environment, including experience of good multidisciplinary teamwork.
• Excellent scientific writing ability and ability to adapt for different target audiences.
• Ability to ensure all writing meets the client’s strategic mcommunications objectives as well as being of high scientific quality/credibility.
• Attention to detail, style, consistency, grammar, syntax, scientific accuracy, proof-reading, layout, etc.
• Excellent project management and organizational skills.
• Problem solving/diplomacy skills.
• Excellent interpersonal and communication skills and ability to lead a small project team.
• IT skills (including WP, database searching, graphics packages, Internet, etc.).
• Understanding of media, including print, video, new media (CD-ROM and web-based)
• Good understanding and implementation of operating procedures.
• Good knowledge of print/production procedures.
• Good knowledge of therapeutic areas and therapies, plus the pharmaceutical industry.
• Familiar with code of practice guidelines for medical copy/copyright issues.
• Familiar with drug development regulatory guidelines/issues.
• Presentation, interview and appraisal skills.
• Advanced life science (PhD, PharmD, MS) or medical (MD, DO) degree;
• 2+ years’ medical/scientific writing/editing experience
Competitive salary and benefits package