Senior Medical Writer
General Purpose/Summary of Job:
Develop and edit manuscript drafts with content and style to the highest level of scientific and editorial accuracy consistent with internal standards and author/client acceptability. Examples of content include (but are not limited to) educational and promotional products and services, such as abstracts, posters, manuscripts, slides, monographs, brochures, executive summaries, meeting reports, newsletters, literature alerts, publication/communication plan elements, gap analyses, symposia and other events.
Assist in training/mentoring medical writing and editorial staff.
Contribute to the development and management of publication/communication plans and manage ad hoc projects or project series.
Primary Duties and Responsibilities:
• Prepare scientific/medical content to the highest level of scientific and editorial accuracy consistent with internal standards and client acceptability, based on direction provided by Agency Management, Medical Communications or other internal staff, external authors, and pharmaceutical company clients.
• Revise content drafts based on direction provided by Agency Management, Medical Communications or other internal staff and client/author feedback. • Conduct literature searches and background research for individual projects based on briefings from Agency Management, Medical Communications or other internal staff.
• Participate in the development of publication/communication plans and related educational or promotional services, such as developing strategies and tactics, and attending publication/communication planning strategic and tactical meetings.
• Provide project management services and internal/external liaison on individual projects or project series as necessary. • Prepare outlines and briefing packages for new projects for Medical Writers and subcontracted writers, including strategic direction and key product/client communications.
• Edit content drafts prepared by Medical Writers and subcontracted writers for content and style to the highest level consistent with internal standards and client acceptability. • Mentor Medical Writers to further enhance and develop their writing and editorial skills. • Assist in development of new business opportunities with Infusion clients and potential clients, and participate in company capability and new business presentations.
• Undertake local, regional, US domestic, and international travel as required to fulfill project delivery/management responsibilities.
- Excellent clinically oriented writing and communications skills
- An advanced scientific (PhD, PharmD, MS) or medical (MD, DO) degree
- 2+ years’ medical/scientific writing experience in a medical communications agency or in the pharma/biotech industry.
- Strong background in clinical therapeutics and critical analysis
- Excellent project management and organizational skills
- Detail-oriented team player capable of multitasking and prioritizing
- Adaptable to changing priorities
- Strong interpersonal and written/verbal communication skills
- Proficient in the use of common Microsoft software programs
Competitive salary and benefits package