Associate Scientific Director
Title: Associate Scientific Director
Job Type: Full-Time
Location: Chicago, IL
General Purpose/Summary of Job:
To lead the strategic content development and co-ordinate implementation of client communication programs, with a focus on marketing strategy, key messages, content and overall quality of all educational materials, in conjunction with relevant colleagues within the business units and external contacts.
Primary Duties and Responsibilities:
- Develop and implement strategic communication plans in close collaboration with client/internal account teams.
- Research, write to the highest standard (scientific and grammatical) for a full range of educational materials and target audiences.
- Mentor Medical Writers working on client program and assist in training of Associate Medical Writers.
- Provide on-site support to meet the client’s needs, e.g., on-site writing/editing, video interviewing, faculty support, competitor intelligence gathering, and moderating meetings.
- Make presentations to clients/speakers/third party organizations.
- Provide medical expertise/consultancy in areas of main strength (internally and externally).
- Establish/develop and maintain opinion leader relationships.
- Work closely with Editorial Unit Manager/Executive Editorial Manager to plan resource to match program needs.
- Utilize and manage freelance and contract freelance assistance (commissioning and briefing freelancers).
- Assist New Business Department with new pitches/presentations.
- Quality Control checking of copy of other Medical Writers across department.
- Develop high-quality scientific and well-referenced educational materials, including promotional educational content, slide decks, brief communications, and other standard communication formats
- Interact with client and experts in all aspects of the business with a clear understanding of the roles and responsibilities
- Self-manage to adhere to agreed T&E schedules, budgets, and to alert team to potential deviations and overages
- Build working relationships with key client medical personnel
- Excellent scientific writing ability and ability to adapt for different target audiences.
- Ability to ensure all writing meets the client’s strategic marketing objectives as well as being of high scientific quality/credibility.
- Ability to translate complex data into compelling messages and concepts
- Attention to detail, style, consistency, grammar, syntax, scientific accuracy, proof-reading, layout, etc.
- Ability to develop table, figures, etc, and review for grammar, format, and consistency
- Ability to deliver quick turnaround on a variety of tasks
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills and ability to lead a small project team.
- Understanding of media, including print, video, new media (web-based)
- Good knowledge of therapeutic areas and therapies, plus the pharmaceutical industry.
- Familiar with code of practice guidelines for medical copy/copyright issues.
- Familiar with drug development regulatory guidelines/issues.
- Educated to degree level or higher in a biomedical science, with several years’ writing experience in a communications agency environment, including experience of good multidisciplinary teamwork.
- Advanced life science (PhD, PharmD, MS) or medical (MD, DO) degree preferred
- 3 years agency or pharmaceutical experience
- Excellent verbal, writing, presentation, and editing skills
- Familiarity with AMA style
- Strong attention to detail
Competitive salary and benefits package.