Account Director (Pharma)
General Purpose/Summary of Job:
Under direction from the Vice President, provide proactive direction and manage the implementation of large publication and medical communication plans for various pharmaceutical clients. This is a leadership role, which involves developing long-term, effective client business relationships at the director level. Delivering sustained organic growth for a large account(s) and supporting the achievement of a new business development target for the company.
Primary Duties and Responsibilities:
- Strategic direction and implementation of large publication and medical communication plans within a single/multiple client roster
- Key point of contact for Publications Manager and other leads in Medical Affairs
- Day-to-day management of client accounts to include:
- Project management and flawless execution of publications and medical communication projects
- Providing regular communications and updates to clients on the progress of projects
- Responsibility for forecasting, planning and management of account resources (scientific resources)
- Accurate financial forecasting for account(s)
- Leader and driver of communications strategy & planning meetings for account(s)
- Ability to understand varied therapeutic area science and input into scientific content
- Accountability for ensuring delivery to agreed company standards on the account and adherence to external standards/guidelines inc. client SOPs
- Thorough understanding of client and pharma industry environment and how it influences the account
- Comprehensive understanding and consistent application of principles and processes of a strategic and tactical medical communication program
- Thorough knowledge of company offerings and how they will meet client/product needs
- Issue handling, supporting the team or directly with the client
- Deliver 3-4m contribution annually from account(s)
- Responsibility for achievement of all relevant account(s) financial targets
- Overall management/control of account(s) team finances
- Knowledge of client contracts (MSAs) and responsibility for negotiating pricing on account(s) for standard business
- Responsibility for making pricing recommendations for non-standard/complex business for approval by the Vice President
- Focus on growth of existing business with current client base and where appropriate achievement of an individual business development (organic and new) target
- Proactive development of business with existing and closely related/aligned clients
- Lead/drive resourcing and preparation of compelling pitches/proposals/ideas generation on business translating from client needs
- Identify opportunities and follow up leads for new business
- Achieve business growth target for account(s)/programs as defined by VP/Team Leader
- Line management - includes training/mentoring/development of Account Manager(s)/Associate Account Manager(s)/Project Coordinator(s) as relevant
- Owner of account quality standards according to company quality standards and client SOPs
- Report to VP on account management issues and implications
- Sharing ideas and best practice within team and across the company
- Identification of and development of key account drivers within the company
- Input into account succession planning
- Input into professional selection and recruitment within account(s)
- Demonstrate team leadership, motivation and drive
- A team leader – engenders team spirit
- Forward thinking and planning for the account(s)
- Exhibits cross functional, unit and division collaboration
- Organized and disciplined
- Excellent verbal and written communication
- Confident and decisive, determined and committed
- Clarity and sound judgment
- Strong coaching and mentoring skills
- Promoter of ‘can do’ culture
- Problem solving and creative ability
- Excellent social and interpersonal skills
- Lead by example – a role model
- 4 to 7 years in an account management role within the pharmaceutical industry and/or medical communications agency environments.
- A demonstrable track record of managing publication and medical communication plans on both a strategic and tactical level. General knowledge of GPP2 and ICMJE requirements.
- Networking ability.
- Strong selling skills.
- Strong influencing and negotiating skills.
Competitive salary and benefits package.