Content Director (Publishing)
The content director is a strategic brand leader responsible for overseeing creative strategy, vision, execution and operations across all media channels—print (magazines, special interest publications and books), digital, video and experiential. With a data journalist’s mindset, she/he is a driving force in business development and advertising sales, helping to ideate and execute new, exciting and scalable growth opportunities for the media brand and team.
Dynamic and assertive, the media content director thrives in a fast-paced environment, loves pushing boundaries and can see and guide the team toward a future ripe with possibilities. She/he fosters a culture in which delivering creative excellence, experimentation and innovation are the norm. A person who leads by example, our content director inspires and delights the team with his or her own bold yet strategically sound creativity and will encourage an environment in which ideas are eagerly shared. Support and mentoring are critical in our team’s DNA.
Our content director is someone with the vision to see beyond a specific project and identify bigger, longer-term opportunities for our brand. Skilled in both print and digital content creation and execution, and serving as editor in chief of the flagship Magazine she/he is highly collaborative and works across teams for the greater good of the brand and business. With charisma to spare and the power to persuade, our content director uses both qualities to sell through ideas that are right for our brand, magazine, and our partners.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Serves as the media brand guardian, ensuring voice/tone and visual look and feel are carried out cohesively across all channels; collaborates with the Consumer Marketing and Ad Sales team to ensure proper expression of brand in marketing materials.
- Serves as editor-in-chief of the bi-monthly Magazine and plays a leading role in content creation of Magazine SIPs.
- Actively leads the ideation of omnichannel premium content, ensuring topics are on-brand, ideal for sponsorship and executed to the highest quality caliber.
- Builds a strong creative culture among the creative team and shared services.
- Serves on hiring team for all editorial and design positions.
- Participates in Content team management meetings and training.
- Represents brand in media interviews and at conferences nationwide, attending and speaking at key sessions or panels.
- Helps lead product innovation for brand and magazine, routinely bringing new ideas to the table as way to expand the breadth and depth of the brands offerings.
- Onboards direct reports and participate in the effective onboarding of new staff within the Magazine/ Media team.
- Understands all work processes to ensure effective on-boarding of creative staff.
- College degree in English, journalism or liberal arts required.
- 10-15 years of relevant experience in digital and print content development and publishing.
- At least 10 years’ experience in management of high-performance creative teams.
- Proven track record of developing omnichannel content programs that deliver measurable results.
- Demonstrated success in building and maintaining positive relationships with direct reports, peers and leadership.
- Expertise in providing insightful and effective coaching.
- Ease with leading multiple projects at the same time.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills, with decisive and direct style.
- Excellent interpersonal skills. Must be a good listener and observer.
- Effective problem-solver and multitasker, with the ability to quickly shift priorities and work under pressure.
- Highly collaborative team player and change agent.
- Positive and open-minded, with a strong sense of integrity and fair mindedness.
- Experience with content production tools such as InCopy, Skyward and WordPress, as well as with analytics platforms such as Adobe Analytics, Parse.ly and CrowdTangle.
Competitive salary and benefits package.