General Purpose/Summary of Job:
To lead the development and coordinate implementation of multi-channel healthcare communication programs for pharmaceutical, biotechnology, and medical device industries.
Primary Duties and Responsibilities:
- Develop and implement multi-channel healthcare communication plans in close collaboration with client/internal teams.
- Act as the primary Medical & Scientific Services contact for the internal and client teams.
- Research, write, edit and proof copy to the highest standard (scientific and grammatical) for a full range of healthcare communications channels and for various audiences, including abstracts, posters, manuscripts, slide decks, print items, and multimedia.
- Manage/co-ordinate materials through internal/client/speaker approval, creative/design/production to print.
- Accurate/precise implementation of client/author corrections.
- Mentor and assist in training of medical writers.
- Provide on-site support to meet the client’s needs, eg, on-site writing/editing, video interviewing, faculty support, competitor intelligence gathering, and moderating meetings.
- Make presentations to clients/speakers/third-party organizations.
- Provide medical expertise/consultancy in areas of main strength (internally and externally).
- Establish/develop and maintain opinion leader relationships.
- Work closely with VP, Medical & Scientific Services, to plan resource to match program needs.
- Manage freelance medical writers.
- Proactively develop new business for existing and new clients.
- Ability to digest complex scientific and clinical information and write compelling content for diverse healthcare professional audiences
- Excellent scientific writing ability and ability to adapt for different target audiences.
- Ability to ensure all writing meets the client’s strategic marketing or medical objectives as well as being of high scientific quality/credibility.
- Attention to detail, style, consistency, grammar, syntax, scientific accuracy, proof-reading, layout, etc.
- Excellent project management and organizational skills.
- Problem solving/diplomacy skills.
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills and ability to lead a small project team.
- Understanding of media, including print, video, digital
- Good knowledge of therapeutic areas and therapies, plus the pharmaceutical industry.
- Presentation, interview, and appraisal skills.
- Ability to work in a fast-paced environment, often under very tight timelines.
- Occasional travel, including overnight and international travel, required
- Advanced life science (PhD, PharmD, MS) or medical (MD, DO) degree preferred
- 3-5 years’ medical/scientific writing/editing experience
- Publications planning and delivery experience preferred
- Therapy areas expertise in oncology preferred
Competitive salary and benefits package