VP, Scientific Strategy (Remote)
Responsible for recruiting and directing a team of medical writers, editors, and information specialists to develop strategic promotional content within specialized areas of oncology/hematology.
Departmental responsibilities include all medical writing and editing, as well as quality control, working with design and production teams to produce a range of print and electronic materials that meet the needs of our clients. Responsible for establishing strong client relationships and participating in proposal development and new business activities.
Accountable for revenue growth within existing client accounts and developing new opportunities in support of the Company’s revenue goals. Essential duties and responsibilities to be completed in a timely manner and within departmental/company standard operating procedures.
Essential Functions include the following, other duties and responsibilities may be assigned:
- Works with VPs & Managing Director to mutually understand/interpret business needs and ensure client expectations are met and surpassed
- Provides input to Controller and VP & Managing Director on Budget, Forecast and P&L
- Monitor and optimize project profitability and scientific staff operations
Department Management and Supervision
- Provide ongoing guidance and consultation to internal and freelance medical writers
- Work with HR to identify resources in line with existing and projected project needs
- Facilitate department meetings and ensure dissemination of company information to staff
- Report and track key objectives including revenue targets, resource planning, etc.
- Monitor and report on project and staff productivity
- Develop, communicate, implement and monitor policies and procedures for the writing team
- Oversee content review process prior to internal sign off and client delivery
- Monitor industry trends and competitor activity to improve the quality of content services
- Direct the scientific content components of RFP responses and new business presentations
Research and Information Management
- Research and source appropriate medical literature for company’s editorial projects and proposals utilizing various information sources such as journal subscriptions, academic libraries, and literature search databases (eg, PubMed)
- Create and maintain electronic databases and filling systems for in-house information (eg, Sharepoint)
- Take briefs from clients and internal colleagues
- Direct concept development, planning, and execution for all strategic and/or content related projects
- Determine deadlines and budgeted hours for all projects and ensure projects are completed on time
- Plan and coordinate project teams, work assignments, resource planning and allocation
- Communicate when timelines may be compromised and implement backup plans as needed
- Support a cohesive and dynamic relationship between the client services and writing teams
- Play an active role in building and maintaining client confidence and trust
- As needs dictate, lead content development for specific accounts and projects:
- Write and edit slide kits, meeting reports, training materials, manuscripts, posters, and other materials that utilize assimilated knowledge of specialized therapeutic areas
- Prepare discussion guides for advisory boards and KOL interviews
- Adapt content and writing style for different audiences and settings
- Coordinate with design and production teams, sourcing graphical representations, and contributing ideas for optimizing design and layout of assigned editorial projects
- Incorporate feedback from internal colleagues, clients, faculty, and journal reviewers
- Proofread all editorial work to comply with in-house, client, and/or AMA style guides
- Demonstrate an in-depth understanding of at least two key tumor types and their treatment
- Seek additional opportunities to develop skills in research, writing, and information technology as well as knowledge of other areas in oncology/hematology
- Align with business development team to identify strategic content development opportunities
- Actively pursue new business opportunities within existing clients
- Develop additional business organically
- Lead and/or contribute to proposal development and capabilities presentations
- Responsible for adhering to all company and group policies and procedures
- Bachelor's degree (BA/BS) in life sciences from an accredited four-year college or university
- Master’s degree, PhD, PharmD, RN, or MD. PharmD with residency and writing experience or experience in pharmaceutical field strongly preferred.
- Minimum 8 years relevant oncology/hematology, medical information, communications, or marketing experience required, or an appropriate combination of education and experience.
- Experience in mentoring and managing staff required.
- Individual should also have an advanced understanding of the oncology/hematology marketplace and the drug development process and regulatory environment, from protocol design through regulatory submission.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. Must demonstrate a history of successfully performing the job duties listed above. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Directly supervises employees in the Scientific Strategy Department in accordance with the organization’s policies and applicable laws. Responsibilities include: interviewing, hiring, and training employees; planning, assigning, and directing work; appraising performance; rewarding and disciplining employees; addressing complaints and resolving problems.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. The employees will lift and/or move up to 60 pounds on rare occasion (pelican cases).
Competitive salary and benefits package